Saturday 15 November 2014

Discoggs 6 - The one where I watched loads of music documentaries

Mixtape number 6 for your enjoyment:



For those with eyes as well as ears:



Groove It Out - Lonelady
Minimalist and synthy with a funk edge that reminds me of Voodoo Ray? Yes please. NB - there is no video on YouTube yet, so there's an older track, Marble, on the YouTube playlist. It's equally great (but do seek out Groove It Out)

Tongues - Joywave ft KOPPS
The first band I saw at SXSW 2014. 12noon on a Tuesday, margarita in hand. Life doesn't get better, right? It took them until this week to hit London but they were worth the wait.

Borderline - Tove Stryke
I'll make a lazy comparison to Robyn and Annie, simply because she's Swedish. And I think she's similarly brilliant.

Somebody - Salt Ashes
Dark disco, as seen at Notting Hill Arts Club last week.

Mixtape - Tift Merrit
As gifted to me by the lovely Amy to mark my adventures in mixtape making.

Waiting Room - Fugazi
If you haven't seen the Sonic Highways documentaries that Foo Fighters have been releasing, you're missing a treat. I watched the first 4 back to back, reminiscing on times spent in each of the featured cities. Ian MacKaye from Fugazi/Minor Threat features heavily in episode 2 (Washington DC) and it reminded me to listen to this, which I did, 9 times in a row.

I Want You to Want Me (live) - Cheap Trick
As featured in Sonic Highways episode 1 (Chicago). Rick Nielsen is a guitar God, no doubt.

Pancho and Lefty - Townes Van Zandt
There's a bit of my heart that belongs to Townes. See the Austin episode (4) of Sonic Highways for more on him.

Polk Salad Annie - Tony Joe White
A Muscle Shoals classic. See the Nashville episode (3) for more.

Pepper - Butthole Surfers
Buttthole Surfers have been doing a fine job of keeping Austin (and anywhere else they happen to be) weird since 1981. See how Gibby is fairing now (actually pretty well) in episode 4.

Race For The Prize - Flaming Lips
Needs no introduction. Possibly in my top 10 songs of all time.

This One's For You - Ed Harcourt
Ed's in the news following his soundtracking of the Burberry Christmas ad, but I think this is him at his finest.

Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo
A slice of season-appropriate loveliness.

Until next time...






No comments:

Post a Comment